Thursday, January 12, 2012

Puck Cakes

I laugh out loud every time I hear something is the new cupcake (cake pops, whoopie pies, etc.). I don't think anything will ever replace cupcakes. However, I'm not above suggesting my own creation could be a contender in the single-serving dessert industry; I call them puck cakes. They're basically a wedding cake for one. If someone who runs a trendy bakery somewhere would like to bring me on board to spend all day every day making puck cakes, I'm game. New York or San Francisco location preferred. Here's my process:
Remember how to level cakes? Take those crowns and punch out three circles (or any shape, really) with a cookie cutter. 
Slap on a healthy smear of frosting with an offset spatula…
…and start stacking them up. I wouldn't advise going higher than three layers; they'll cease to be "pucks."
Cover the whole thing in frosting and chill it in the fridge until the frosting is firm.
Tear off a hand-size piece of parchment paper and massage the frosting; the heat of your hand will smooth things out. If the frosting is still imperfect/crumby/whatever, don't worry; you're going to cover the whole thing with a considerable amount of decorative icing.
It probably seems like I've left you hanging by not providing a next step. This is where you can do anything you want with whatever tips and colors you might have lying around. Bear in mind, the cake is small, so you'll want to use all your small tips to pipe borders, drop strings, roses, leaves, dots, etc. I learned almost all these techniques (except for drop strings) in the Wilton Method Course 1, which is offered at Michael's stores everywhere.
Believe it or not, I'm out the door to take a class right now: Flowers and Cake Design (also at Michael's). Of course I'll report how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment