Saturday, November 3, 2012

Royal Icing Fez

A year ago from tonight, my husband Bill and I went to an event called Moroccan Nights, and this is what we wore:
I was inspired to pipe a tiny fez out of icing, and here's what I came up with. Stick a parchment square to a flower nail with a dab from a glue stick:
 Load a piping bag with stiff consistency royal icing (red is good). Hold the tip at a right angle to and just above the surface. Squeeze as you move the tip upwards for a little over half an inch. Stop pressure and pull the tip away.
 Touch a fingertip to a dusting pouch and tap the peak down to round it. Allow this shape to dry for a few minutes.
 Pipe the tassel in a contrasting color. I should have used a #2 tip, but all I had on hand was a #3, which is a bit thick. Start by piping a line from the center of the fez to the base.
 Pipe a cluster of short little lengths of icing to finish off the tassel, and you have the perfect headgear for a very tiny Shriner or poo-flinging monkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment