Monday, July 16, 2012

Royal Icing Oysters

I hope I'm not boring anybody with all these little sea creatures; one seems to inspire another! I piped this tiny oyster with the Ateco tip #98, which is scalloped with grooves on the outer side. 
I stuck a square of parchment paper to a flower nail with a dab from a glue stick. I held the tip against the paper and piped a shell shape by keeping one side of the tip still and moving the other side around in a clockwise motion while vibrating the tip to create ridges. 
 Here's another view of it:
 I piped a neighboring shell next to it, trying to keep them similar in shape:
 I tapped one of them flatter than the other with a fingertip after touching it to a dusting pouch; this will be the side on the bottom:
 After allowing them to dry under a desk lamp for about 45 minutes, I glued a tiny sugar pearl to the center with a dot of icing piped with a round #2 tip
 I piped another ball to act as a "hinge" on the other half of the shell…
 …and then I assembled the oyster. Obviously I got a little crazy with the color, but that's half the fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment