Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Royal Icing Cauldron

I can honestly say this is one of my favorite projects ever, because it turned out exactly how I pictured it in my head (that doesn't always happen). To pipe a tiny cauldron, you'll need stiff consistency royal icing in black and neon green, round tips #12, #10, and #5, parchment paper squares, and a dusting pouch filled with a 50/50 blend of powdered sugar and cornstarch. Start with the #12 tip on the black icing. Hold the tip just above a parchment square. Squeeze until the icing is about the size of a penny, then pull the tip upward while keeping it buried in the icing. Stop pressure and pull the tip away, leaving a shape comparable to a Hershey's Kiss.
 Touch a fingertip to the dusting pouch and tap down the peak to round it.
 On  a separate square, pipe a bunch of C-shaped handles with the #5 tip. Always make more than you think you need to allow for breakage, variations in size, etc.
 Also use the #5 tip to pipe three or four small feet on the underside of the cauldron, if you like (feet are optional, but SO cute).
 When the cauldron is dry enough to handle, flip it over and pipe a #10 dollop of neon green icing in the center. Tap it flat with a fingertip after touching it to the dusting pouch.
 Pipe the lip of the cauldron with the #5 tip around the edge of the green icing…
 …and stick one of the handles into the icing while it's wet.
 This would definitely be a good accompaniment for the witch hat and the broom on Halloween cupcakes!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this!!! Halloween is my favorite holiday so I have been enjoying your October posts very much! I can't wait to make some! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janis; Halloween is my favorite, too! I'm glad you're enjoying the October posts; they've been among my favorite (especially this little cauldron).

      Delete