Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Brownie Pops

I recently took Wilton's 2-session Cake Pops class, during which brownie pops were briefly mentioned. I just made a batch, and haven't had a chance yet to decorate (or even taste) them, but already I'm pretty sure of one thing: I'm going to prefer the consistency of these over cake pops significantly. You can make 24 brownie pops from one 8x8" brownie mix, supposedly; that's what the Wilton site claims. I made 16, but I think I may have filled the pans a bit deeper than I should have; next time, I'll try for 24 and not fill the pans as high. Here's what you'll need, if you're making them from a box mix (which you'll follow the directions on):
 I used Pillsbury's Chocolate Extreme brownie mix, which has massive chunks of chocolate AND…
…a pouch of dark chocolate syrup. Just, YUM. The only items you might not have immediately on hand are the Brownie Pops 8-Cavity Silicone Mold and Cookie Sticks (both easy to find in any cake decorating section of a craft store or at cake supply stores; strangely, I found the pan, er, mold, at an Ace Hardware).  
 Make sure the pan is clean and dry, then spray it with non-stick cooking spray. Place the pan on a cookie sheet…
 …and fill each of the wells 2/3 full (this is how I interpreted 2/3, which as you know wound up being too generous).
Place the brownie pops in the oven (use whatever temperature your recipe calls for), and after 15 minutes, insert the sticks. Return them to the oven for another 10 to 15 minutes (10 was sufficient for mine). When the time is up, remove the pan from the oven (keep it on the cookie sheet), and allow it to cool completely. Note to self: those sticks will be blazing hot. 
 When the pops are cool, they should slide right out of the wells. Lay the pan on its side, and gently press on the bottom of each well.
 I'm still trying to figure out what sort of embellishment these pops will have; stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment